MPA is thrilled to welcome back musical director Ken Avis—radio host of Antidote WERA 96.7 FM and a performing musician with the award-winning band Veronneau—for this year’s MPAartfest 2019! Ken has arranged a broad range of bands and musicians, and performances will run throughout the day. Check back here for a complete musical lineup and schedule.
Building on the success of last year’s diverse musical offerings, MPAartfest will again offer a full day of lively and varied musical performances featuring everything from Go Go and jazz to instrumental world music and a 15-piece big band!
MPAartfest 2018 featured musicians include:
- 10:00 am—Project Locrea: Project Locrea will introduce to you the beauty of the traditional music of its members with a non-traditional combination of instruments and sounds. See their video.
- 11:00 am—Cecily: Known for her sweet soprano, honest lyrics and pure vocals, Cecily brings her own vulnerability to each song, telling her story, and hopes that, at the end, the audience feels vulnerable enough to tell their own stories. See a video.
- 12:00 noon—The Dave Kline Band: MPA favorites the Dave Kline Band will be joining us again at MPAartfest, with their high energy, international world fusion. Recognized for its vibrant world sound, the Dave Kline Band highlights its contemporary vibe with the ancient cultures of Africa, the Caribbean, the Middle East, and Latin America. The Dave Kline Band’s most recent album, Shifting Borders, reached #1 on the Top 50 Jazz Albums. See their video.
- 1:00 pm—The JoGo Project: The JoGo Project is a genre-blending ensemble inspired by the musical stylings of Chuck Brown. Founded in 2014 by Elijah Jamal Balbed, the band performs all over with the mission of keeping Go-Go music alive. See their video.
- 2:00 pm—Rose Moraes: Singer, poet Rose Moraes brings the soul of Brazilian Music to the world. Born in the south of Brazil near Sao Paulo, she has performed in Switzerland, Poland, Brazil and the US, where she now resides. See her video.
- 3:00 pm—Little Red & The Renegades: Blues, Zydeco, Funk, R&B, Country, Gospel, Pop, Compas Direct, Latin, Jazz and Carnival Flavors from all over the world have been blended and distilled into the Renegades’ sound. The band has been performing around the DMV since the 1980s. See their video.
- 4:00 pm—Blues Alley Youth Jazz Orchestra: The Blues Alley Youth Orchestra is comprised of accomplished student musicians ranging in age from 14 to 17 years old, and their mission is to preserve and promote the big band jazz art form. See their video.